Federal Preschool Development Grant Birth-5
Ultimately, the PDG B-5 initiative will accelerate Virginia’s development of an equitable early childhood system that delivers stable, affordable, and quality early care and education for the state’s families and children, particularly those who are most vulnerable and will benefit the most. In doing so, Virginia seeks to make significant progress toward the prioritized outcome of preparing children for kindergarten, putting them on track for success in school and in life. Read full press release here. The School Readiness Committee will provide guidance to the PDG effort, especially through an Impact Workgroup.
To view a list of PDG B-5 2019 pilot communities, click here.
For more information about PDG B-5 Renewal Grant opportunities, click here.
PDG B-5 Renewal Grant Opportunities - Tentative Process for Current PDG Pilots
- To indicate their interest/agreement to continue into the FY21 “expand” year of PDG activities in their current PDG footprint, current PDG pilots (those with signed SOWS for activity through June 30, 2020) will not need to submit a formal LOI for PDG. Current grantees will be asked to complete a simple form (provided by VECF) by March 2 and due back to VECF by March 25 to indicate their intention to continue. Formal MOUs, similar to first year, will be provided by VECF and fully executed between the pilot lead agency and VECF by early May.
- To indicate their interest in expanding their footprint in FY21, or merging with other PDG pilot communities for PDG activities in FY21, current PDG pilots will not need to submit a formal LOI for PDG. Current grantees will be asked to complete a simple form (provided by VECF) by early May to indicate their intention to expand. Formal MOUs will be provided by VECF and fully executed among the pilot lead agency, specific representatives from the localities that will be added to the current PDG pilot footprint, and VECF by early May.
- To indicate their interest in apply for Mixed Delivery grants, current PDG pilots will need to submit a formal LOI for MD and follow the process outlined in this webinar for interested communities to apply for the Opportunities Ahead initiatives.
PDG TA Sessions
- April 9, 2019 Materials
- June 13, 2019 Materials
- September 17, 2019 Materials
- December 12, 2019 Materials
- March 12, 2020 Materials
STATEWIDE NEEDS ASSESSMENT and STRATEGIC PLAN
Through the PDG B-5 grant, Virginia seeks to understand the current state of early care and education and what it will take to provide children with quality care, support, and a strong start in life. Key activities of the grant include the production of a statewide needs assessment and a strategic plan to inform efforts to improve equitable access to quality early care and education for children ages birth to five in Virginia. Both resources, announced by the Governor on August 8, 2019, were developed with input from a broad range of stakeholders and with guidance from the School Readiness Committee and its Impact Workgroup.